Banana Muffins with Cream Cheese Icing
With applesauce in the place of oil and DairyPure milk stirred into the icing, banana muffins make a delicious after-school snack for kids. Ground chia seeds add fiber, protein and omega-3 fats, while flaxseeds add more fiber and omega-3s.
Learn more and Get Cooking
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups whole wheat white flour
- ½ cup chia seeds ground (I used a coffee grinder)
- ½ cup ground Flax Seed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips.
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp Skim DairyPure brand milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all the ingredients, except the chips, until well blended. Add the chips and pour into greased muffin pans or into paper liners. Bake for 20 minutes.
For the Icing
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Beat in DairyPure milk and vanilla until well combined.
- Spread over cooled banana muffins and let set about 30 mintues. (you can add more chips too)